Thursday, May 16, 2013

Return to Sender



My welcome-to-your-new-home card has finally made it to its destination. The delivery process took five weeks, including five mailings and four returns to make the forty-or-so blocks across town. Originally there were two cards mailed simultaneously; one made it on its second attempt, the other one bounced back a few times.

With its last return, it came with a new sticker: "Moved, Unknown". How many different stickers does Canada Post have? The previous sticker had read: "Unclaimed Mail". I am convinced that they have used their full range on this card. Moved? They had just moved into the new house. Did my family move and not tell me? Does this mean I have to create another welcome-to-your-new-home card and start this process all over again?

I clipped on my dagger earrings and walked up to the Canada Post Sorting Depot on Yukon Street. The Canada Post building had been there forever and was easily found blindfolded as the sidewalk outside was clouded with cigarette smoke of postal employees. On this trip however; the smoke was missing and so was the Canada Post Sorting Depot. Moved! I guess they had run out of mail to sort and my card was recycled a few times to stay in practice. 

With my card in hand I continued on to the London Drugs Postal Station to try again. The staff were sympathetic. The clerk wrote out a large sticker, stuck it over the front of the card and followed it with the thud of an official rubber stamp. So there! and the card was on its way again.

My son-in-law Bram works from home. Since this is also his business address, he is very concerned about what other mail had been wrongly returned to sender. 

Canada Post has recently installed new automatic postal machines in London Drugs. Buying stamps and mailing is one thing, delivery is another matter altogether.

No comments:

Post a Comment