Sunday, March 24, 2013

Dressew, a fabric store for addicts.


I walk through clouds of cigarette smoke outside the numerous International Language Schools in downtown Vancouver on my way to my favourite sewing supply store. This is a well hidden, two story shop on West Hastings, and in better days, it was a Kresge department store. The layout of the building reflects this, the main floor as you enter, has a broad stairway going to the lower level. The main floor is filled with fabrics, vintage and current; hundreds of rolls of them. There are Halloween costumes year round. There is a magical wonderland of burlesque supplies: boas, feathers, gloves and mesh stockings, along with a great range of glitz, glamour and sparkly appliqués. There are some knitting supplies and an on-off supply of wool. The lower level can get rather stuffy in the summer time, but the old warehouse rollup doors are opened and the cool breeze from the rear alley makes it pleasant to shop. There is an endless supply of buttons, threads, zippers, clasps, cords, velcro. I can easily spend a few hours there, mixing and matching fabrics for the latest creation that is still developing in my mind. Fabric stores are in decline along with the department stores that once had sewing departments. As I left the two floors of fun fabric and notions, the sale staff called "Bye, see you next week". Yes, I will be back for my fix. 

No comments:

Post a Comment