Saturday, April 6, 2013

CPAir - The Colour of Orange


In 1974 I was hired by CPAir as a Passenger Agent for Toronto International Airport and was sent to Vancouver on course. It was my first flight on a Boeing 747 and my first visit to Vancouver, with every free moment spent exploring Vancouver and Victoria. After completion of the course, along with a new navy blue uniform and polka dot blouse, I returned to Toronto. At terminal 1, the old round airport terminal, I found myself submerged in people, bags and a whole new vocabulary along with a 06:00 shift. After a few days I was still struggling with the early starting time and signs of sleep deprivation became evident. Into the third day, I became part of a group of new agents who were having training in Baggage Services. The instructor was a blur and when he turned the lights out for a slide show, I finally fell asleep and then fell of my chair. The lights came on, a strong arm pulled me up and I looked into the smiling face of the instructor, Peter Gelin, my future husband.
A few years later we decided to transfer to Vancouver. We were granted a double container for our furniture, paintings, motorbike and belongings. With nearly two ton in weight, we made the move by Boeing 747 and its colour was Orange. Orange is Beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment